Why do I love risotto?
I love risotto. I actually never wanted to try it when my sister would make it. She always made it with shrimps and I did not like shrimps.
Special for me, she made it with chicken. I loved it. There is so much flavour and it is creamy and I just can’t stop eating.
But then my sister moved out. (yes, I am blaming her for this) And I had to miss her risotto. But after a while I decided that if she can make it, why can’t I?
So I started to try it out. I will be honest, the first 3 times were not that special. I followed the exact basic recipe and that was it. It was good but not as special as I make now.
After some experimenting, I perfected my recipe and made it the best. My family eventually had to tell me that my risotto was better than my sisters.
Now I make creamy vegetarian risotto (this recipe) but also with chicken, shrimps and even chorizo. So you can eat it every week, just a bit different.
One of the amazing things of risotto is that you can make countless of variations.
I like to make spicy chicken, because the dish is creamy. This gives it a bit of power. But you can also spice the risotto itself, like I did in this picture.
The cumin, sambal and paprika powder made it yellow, but it also gave an amazing flavor.
It is also possible to change around with the vegetables. For this one, I used some zucchini and paprika we had left over from the burritos the day before. I just added the mushrooms.
But you can also use pumpkin, sweet potato or even spinach. If you google, you will find the craziest combination.
Creamy Vegetarian Risotto
I just moved in with a new roommate and she is vegetarian. I don’t like cooking dishes that she can’t try, because she will miss out of something tasty.
So I decided to try a creamy vegetarian risotto, because why not?
I added more vegetables, left out the chicken and shrimps and used vegetable stock instead of my normal chicken stock.
The recipe takes a while, because you have to add the stock bit by bit, but it is so worth it! I like to make a big batch, like this recipe. And enjoy two or even three days of the risotto that week.
It is very difficult to say how many portions it
Creamy Vegetarian Risotto
- 1 tablespoon oliveoil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3-8 cloves garlic (I love it so I use a lot)
- 300 grams Risotto rice
- 1 litre vegetable stock (chicken or fish is also possible if you use it)
- 30 grams butter
- 200 grams grated cheese Parmazan is the best, but everything works
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 zuchini
- 1 Paprika / Bell pepper
- 300 grams of mushrooms
- Chop the onions and garlic.
- Cut the vegetables. I like them pretty small, but do what you like
- Prepare the stock, make it yourself or use bought.
- Heat up the oil in a big pan (the risotto might seem small, but just wait)
- Sauté the onions and garlic. Put the pan on a medium/low. (I have an induction 1-9. I use the 4 here.)
- Add the risotto rice and bake it until it is glazy
- Add the first soupspoon of stock. *Watch out! it will sizzle!*
- Mix and wait until the stock is absorbed. Add the next soupspoon
- When you added a quarter of the stock, start the vegetables in another pan. *If you have meat, start making it around this point*
- Repeat until the stock is finished and all absorbed.
- Add the vegetables by the risotto. Also, add some herbs and spices here if you like it.You can also keep it separated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter, cheese and lemon juice.
- Mix well and enjoy. It pairs beautifully with a glass of wine or a beer.
I spiced it with my homemade sambal, cumin (made it yellow) and paprika powder. These are some variations I make and like, but be creative! Variation 1: leek, paprika, spicy chicken Variation 2: pumpkin, sweet potato, spicy chicken Variation 3: mushrooms, leek, paprika, shrimps Be creative!
After trying a lot of things, I perfected the recipe and found some combinations that I really like. This will be the same for you.
Just try everything out and enjoy all the different combination. There is a big chance you will make something that does not taste really good. But the next you will make your new favorite dish. You will find your favorite combination if you just try different stuff.
You can also replace the butter with cream. This gives a bit different kind of creaminess.
I also really like to add 100 milliliters of white wine. The alcohol disappears, so it is safe for minors. And it gives it a nice full flavor. It brings out all the other flavors.
So enjoy and please let me know what combination you tried!
Please share if you like it!