Serie: The Good Doctor
Aired: 2017 –
Creator: David Shore
Stars: Freddie Highmore, Nicholas Gonzales, Antonia Thomas and more
IMDB Score: 8.4 / 10
My rating: 8.5 / 10
*There might be affiliate links on this page. This means I will get a small compensation if you buy something through this link. With no extra costs to you! I only promote things and sites I really believe in and tried with my own experiences. *
The Good Doctor
The Good Doctor is one of the best new doctor series in my eyes. It is not the typical doctor drama series. They focus on relationships other than love and marriage. This series actually focuses more on the struggle of working in a hospital and how you have to look at things in a different way sometimes.
The main character has autism and we see how he works with it. This gives an interesting view of their lives and sometimes a hilarious moment. Freddie Highmore really plays the role amazing. That was what surprised me the most.
Shaun Murphy is a surgical resident at San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital… You follow him and his fellow residents in the hospital. Because of his ‘flaws’, he is treated differently.
With the help of Claire and Jared, he learns how to behave. After a few episodes, you can see that he is already better with people, but is still very direct and has difficulties with this. With a love interest, a mentor who has cancer and know it all residents it, it is a rollercoaster of feelings.
Shaun struggles with the problem every resident has, but also has some additional struggles. He says what he thinks, can not handle noise and too much stress. This makes the residency hard for him, but also for his fellow residents.
You will also see some flashbacks about his brother that took care of him and how he met doctor Glassman. It is not strange that with his autism, his experiences and what is happening now, it can be a bit much for Shaun.
As you get to know them in the first few episodes:
- Shaun Murphy: Shaun is the main character. He is a surgical resident. He is autistic and has savant syndrome. He has a near-photographic memory and is able to note a lot of details and changes.
- Neil Melendez: The cardiothoracic surgeon, who is in charge of surgical residents. He does not think Shaun should be a resident.
- Claire Browne: Another resident, who gives Shaun a change and becomes his friend.
- Jessica Preston: The in-house attorney from the hospital. A good friend of Dr. Glasshouse and the granddaughter of the hospital founder.
- Marcus Andrews: Former Chief of Surgery, attending plastic surgeon and is now the president of the hospital.
- Aaron Glassman: the former president of the hospital. He has been a mentor and a good friend of Shaun since he was 14.
- Lea Dilallo: Shaun’s neighbor and love interest.
This is one of my favorite shows at the moment. I love hospital shows, but this is just a bit different than the rest. Freddie Highmore is so talented to play this role and I love him for it.
If you love Grey’s Anatomy, Chicago Med and the Night Shift, you will love this show. It gives you the hospital drama, but adds a lot more different problems than you see by these other shows.
The show if funny, serieus and educational at the same time. I am not surprised that there is a season two and that it will get at least also a season 3.
Because the medical injuries are not always original ( which I can understand after a lot of medical shows airing before this one) I do not give it a ten. So for me, this is an 8.5 out of 10.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!